Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

My Little Sister Ate One Hare

For years now, I have read the book "My Little Sister Ate One Hare" by Bill Grossman.  One line in the book says:
 
My little sister ate 4 shrews!
She ate their smelly socks and shoes.
 
Then immediately following that line, no matter the age or grade, I have to explain what a 'shrew' is - which is not all that easy to children who are not familiar with wildlife.  But now, with thanks to our cat, I have a picture of a real life shrew!
 
 
 
Isn't he cute?!?!
 
In case you have not been lucky enough to have a cat catch and bring you multiple shrews (or the same unfortunate shrew multiple times), here is the definition of a shrew:
 
A shrew or shrew mouse is a small mole-like mammal.  Although its external appearance is generally that of a long-nosed mouse, a shrew is not a rodent, as mice are. It is in fact a much closer relative of moles.

No comments:

Post a Comment