Search This Blog

Monday, December 2, 2013

Run, Forrest, Run

In September, 16 weeks and 5 days after giving birth to Holly, I completed my first AND second 5K... in ONE WEEKEND!
 
As I still have baby brain and the 5Ks were over two months ago AND I didn't take the time to record them, I don't remember the amount of time it took me to do them, but that's okay.  I know I did it and that's all that matters.
 
The first 5K was a glow run for Conquering Childhood Cancer.  Running around a football track in the dark on a very brisk and windy night using only glow sticks to guide your way was just a tad challenging but it kept my mind off being tired.
 
 
Then up and at 'em bright and very early the next morning for a color run that supported Habitat for Humanity!
 
 
(The before)
 
There are a few things about the color run that I found a bit challenging:
 
1. The first color station you come to you are still with your wave of people meaning there is beyond a ton of color powder being flung.  You can't see where you are going.  You can't breathe.  You pray that you aren't the one who trips and falls and begins the pile up of people.
 
2. After recovering from almost being suffocated you come to a liquid color station in which they use a hose to douse you with color.  Its a tad bit colder than you expect which shocks your system.

(The DJ getting people pumped up to run)
 
 
3.  Immediately after being sprayed with a hose you begin running downhill... with all that extra liquid under your feet.  Your heart begins beating at a whole new speed.
 
4.  At the bottom of the hill, you make a sharp left and begin running back UPHILL towards a set of stairs.  Yes, a set of stairs. 
 
And all of that happened within the first 1.5K of the race. 
 
I think they were trying to weed out the weak.
 
BUT I survived!  I loved it!  I can't wait for the spring to get back to doing more races.
 

(The after)

No comments:

Post a Comment