Search This Blog

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Traveling

Today's soccer match took us to Liberty Benton.  Although the game did not end so well for our team, we as a family decided to make the best of the day.  


While in the area, we stopped into Van Buren State Park.  We've driven by it numerous times in our travels down I-75 and Jim would always talk about camping adventures there as a kid.  It was about time to see what all the fuss was about.   

As is normally the case, the campground has changed. However, this change is drastic to the point of the campground being relocated.  One of the few locations that remained the same from Jim's childhood days was a place him and his brother would go to throw rocks....


My mama's heart was not doing so well as three of us were in flip flops trying to maneuver over the ties and stones and down a steep slope. 


In their younger years, Jim and his brother would set up pop cans at the bottom of the dam and then climb up to the railroad tracks to throw rocks down at their target.  Pure and simple fun for kids back in the day, ya know?    


This view made my heart stop in terror....


This view made my heart stop in awe of God's beauty....



After taking this picture, I turned and slowly started walking back the way we came, looking for rocks that need to be painted.  Somewhere, maybe in my subconsciousness, I heard a noise and looked up.  The railroad signal in front of me was blaring red, something I had not noticed before.  I immediately turned around and what to my wondering eyes should appear?  But a train barreling down the tracks at us!!!  At that moment 'Fried Green Tomatoes' played through my head scene by scene and I might have panicked in getting everyone away from that area.  Once we were all safe, Jim claims that of all the years doing this as a kid, he never remembers a train going through.  Maybe Jim should stick to story telling and not sight seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment