Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2015

It takes a village

In April 2010, my dad passed away.  Not only did I hurt for myself, but I hurt for my eldest child who would never really come to know him.  She would never hear his words, his stories, the history of how our lives shaped into what they are today.  But out of that pain came an opportunity to keep his spirit alive by presenting Bree with a Christmas village piece each year on her birthday.  A village piece that symbolized bits of her past, my past, her fathers past, and, together, our families past.  I love seeking out a piece each year of what I want to emphasize and what I want her to remember.  So far this is what she has received:
. 
In 2008 we took our first family vacation with my parents, brother and sister to the Outer Banks.  One of our site seeing destinations was the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.  It was the first and last vacation with Papa so it was only fitting that her first village piece was a very similar lighthouse that holds so many memories. 
 
 
Movie nights, sleepovers, cookouts, camping, recipes, and holidays.  Village piece #2 is a home -  Its where your story begins and a place you can always come back to. 
 
 
 
With my dad passing away 7 months before Bree turned three years old, the third village piece chosen was a church in commemoration.     
 

 
Traditions.  Although they can morph over the years, the root of the tradition is always there.   Village piece #4 is a family tree lot and a family hoisting the all important tree onto the top of the car.  My family rarely had a live tree at Christmas, but it is all Jim knows.  From his days of selling Christmas trees as a child with his family to now as an adult driving out to a tree farm to select and cut down our own tree, the tradition of having a live Christmas tree continues. 


 
The meaning behind village piece #5 is quite obvious.  Not only do I have fond memories of visiting the library as a child, but it has been my place of work, my career for (literally) half my life and practically a second home to Bree.  It was my dad who suggested I apply there while in high school - a piece of advice that changed my life forever.  The village library was a perfect choice for the fifth year because at 5 years old, Bree was officially old enough to obtain her very own library card at her momma's work! 
 

 
 
Village piece #6 - Village Telephone Company
Way, way back in the day, both my mom and my dad worked for the United Telephone Company and that, of course, is how they met.  Without them meeting, I would not exist.  And without the telephone company transferring my dad up here, I would not have met Jim and, therefore, Bree would not exist.  Yes, the telephone company is vital to our family's history. 
 
(that's my mom inside the window - a switchboard operator!)
 
Village piece #7 - the village veterinarian - was given out of sadness.  Our little family lost a beloved pet that year. Willis will always hold a place in our hearts and any stray furry, four-legged creatures that show up at our doorstep will always be fed at this house. 
 

 
And most recently Bree received this village piece: 
 
 
A bowling alley.  Bowling is a beloved pastime not only for my family but for Jim's as well.  There are so many treasured moments of family bonding while bowling for fun or for leagues that we hope to create for her as well. 
 
And there you have it.  Bree's Historical Christmas Village. 
 
What will next year bring? 
 
We'll just have to wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment